Thursday, January 21, 2010

Interview with Matt Flynn II Running for County Legislature

Today I want to share with you an interview with an 18-year old Republican from St. Lawrence County named Matt Flynn. Young Mr. Flynn announced earlier this week that he is going to run for a seat on the St. Lawrence County Legislature. Tedra Cobb has held the seat for several years and recently announced that she will not be running again in 2010. We hope to catch up with her at some point to see what her political future might hold - an assembly seat, a future state senate bid? The only other Republican looking at the district 8 seat to my knowledge is Kevin Acres. I wasn't planning on covering any county races this soon, but I got a few e-mails from people interested in hearing what the young guy has to say about politics and county government. If Kevin or anyone who knows him reads this please be in touch so we can learn more about the potential Acres candidacy as well. Now onto the interview with Young Mr. Flynn. Here it is!

Buggs Buddy Question: Matt, thank you for agreeing to taking the time to participate in our interview. Can you tell us about your background, what you do now and your first experience in organized politics? Can you also tell us a little bit about your first involvement in politics?

Matt Flynn II Response: All my life, I have taken an interest in Government and Politics. I distinctively remember watching Fox News with my grandfather at age six. By the time I was twelve or thirteen years old, I was drinking coffee and watching the O’Reilly Factor with my Grandfather. After every show, it was a common practice to continue discussing a show topic for twenty minutes of longer.


It wasn’t until about four or five years ago that I started to take an interest in local politics. After my father was elected to Ogdensburg City Council, I would always ask him about national issues. Since he was so overwhelmed with local politics, his focus was primarily on local issues. I’ll never forget what he told me one day, he said son “all politics is local.” I realize he is not the first person to say this, but this phrase could not have been truer. The point he stressed to me was that as a Northern New Yorker, it is nearly impossible to have a significant impact on federal elections and federal issues. However, one person can make a huge difference on the local level. My father was also right, in saying that most issues begin locally and work their way up the ladder. In other words, if I wanted to make a difference, I needed to start locally.


Since then, it has been history. I started attending local village and town board meetings, along with the county legislature meetings. I have been attending the county meetings for nearly 2 years now. I founded the Canton High School Republicans, and currently serve as an executive board member for the St. Lawrence County Republican Committee.


BB: Why did you initially decide to run for county legislature?


MF: As someone who has lived in St. Lawrence County for almost my entire life, my dream is to one day raise a family here. This dream of mine is shared by many citizens in St. Lawrence County.


However, many of these individuals are being forced out of St. Lawrence County. Not because they want to leave; but because they have to in order to find jobs. If I graduated college tomorrow, I’m not sure if I would be able to fulfill my dream to stay in St. Lawrence County.


I believe that I have the skills and passion necessary to excel as a legislator; St. Lawrence County needs more jobs so that our citizens will no longer be forced to leave. Our greatest export should not be our people forced out because of a job shortage. As a legislator, I plan to work towards bringing additional jobs to this area, so that those who choose to call St. Lawrence County home. Will no longer be forced to leave the place that they love.


BB: I understand that you are running in the Republican primary against Kevin Acres. Can you give us some sense of why you think voters should pick you and if you think there are any differences between your candidacy and Kevin's?


MF: Kevin is a nice guy. I believe my ability to listen and talk with the people will give me an advantage. Few elected officials, and candidates, take the time to sit down and listen to what the people have to say. Throughout my life, I have learned that the skill to listen to others is one of the most valuable skills one may possess. The people of St. Lawrence County have many great ideas that I am eager to discuss.


BB: You must have followed the NY-23 Congressional race closely last year. I understand that you worked on both the Scozzafava and Hoffman campaigns. What place do you think there is for moderate or more liberal Republicans in the GOP today? What do you think is the proper direction of the Republican Party?


MF: I like to think of the Republican Party as a big tent, and under this tent is room for many different candidates. As far as the future direction of the party, I think we have some strong candidates for the upcoming 2010 elections, and time will tell the future direction of the party.


BB: What would you say your core message is and do you think voters are willing to put their trust in such a young person to handle complex county issues? Can you win?


MF: Over the last week, I have been fortunate enough to meet with numerous citizens who live in the 8th district. Rather meeting them at Stewarts, or receiving emails or phone calls, I am always delighted to hear what the people think about our County Government and the Issues affecting St. Lawrence County. Every day, I am getting a positive response from the community. Those who know me are confident that I have the skills and passion necessary to do the job. Those who do not, want to have the chance to meet with me first and discuss the issues then decide.


Thus far, everyone I have met has been impressed with my interest in the county government, and knowledge on the issues. Over the last two years, I have learned a lot while attending the county legislature meetings. I realize there may be some concern that I have not spent a lot of time in government. However, I have lived in St. Lawrence County long enough to know that we need change.


BB: I understand that you will be a freshman at Clarkson University next fall. Do you think you will be able to balance your personal commitment to furthering your education and should you be elected, your commitments to helping the county?


MF: The majority of legislators have a full time job, and are a Legislator part time. I plan on doing something similar, Clarkson University will be my full time job, but I plan on dedicating more time to the legislature than a part time job.


BB: Is there anything else you want our readers to know about you and this race?


MF: I would like to remind everyone of a recent editorial written by Chuck Kelly from the Ogdensburg Journal titled “Take Matt Flynn II Seriously.” In this editorial Chuck says that when choosing a candidate for the District 8 seat; it should not matter if a candidate is 18 or if he is 50.


BB: Please share something non-political about yourself that our readers might find interesting.


MF: I currently serve as the Captain of the Canton Varsity High School Hockey Team, and whenever I have a spare moment, I enjoy hunting, fishing, and barbershop talks.


BB: Thanks again for your time and for answering our questions. We look forward to following your campaign in the weeks and months ahead. You can learn more about Matt Flynn II and his campaign effort by visiting his website, www.voteflynn.us. Best of luck to you in 2010!

6 comments:

  1. The last 10 years have been a decade of decline for the St. Lawrence county Republican party. Owens won St. Laawrence county by 20 points or 4,000 votes but only won the election by 2% or 3,000 votes. Aubertine and Russell won by similar margins. GOP hasn't done much better at local elections than they have with Congressional and state elections.

    About the only Republican who has had success there is Dede who isn't exactly a Reaganite.

    The St. Lawrence county GOP needs some new blood if they want to make a come back.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The young man said in part:

    "I distinctively remember watching Fox News with my grandfather at age six."

    "By the time I was twelve or thirteen years old, I was drinking coffee and watching the O’Reilly Factor with my Grandfather."

    My first thought was child abuse and brain dead.

    Age 6 watching Faux gnus and age 12 downing coffee, to stay awake I guess, and watching Bull O'Lielly?

    He may have a future in politics alright, with the ... well, I'd better not say it.

    I commend him for his initiative, but not his judgment.

    I leave him with this: "Expand your horizons and get away from Fox."

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice sounds pretty polished to me for 18 years old..

    ReplyDelete
  4. As a 26 year old who has lived in SLC all my life, I am fortunate enough to have a good paying job and living comfortably. Unfortunetly, I can not say this about most of my friends and even some family members. This county has been in economic decline for years and subsequently, we are paying the price for it now. Crime levels are up, unemployment is up and jobs keep going elsewhere.

    We need a fresh face on local government with new ideas that meet the needs of the new generation. When we have second and third generations making decisions for a new generation, it only leads to old ideas with no new fixes.

    I am a democrat but with a new bold look at politics, Mr. FLYNN has my vote.

    ReplyDelete