Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Response to Jude Seymour & What's Really Up with Mayor Jeff Graham?

So the first part of this introduction is a bit extraneous and I apologize for it. But I was quite amused yesterday when Jude Seymour called me out on his Watertown Daily Times Political Blog for my online political pseudonym "Buggs Buddy." In his recent post referring to an interview I conducted with an Assembly candidate out east, Jude wrote that you could learn more about Mr. Kimmel's platform in an interview with "Buggs Buddy" at the new blog "What's Up NY-23?" <= That's us! Jude continued typing, "on a side note: it takes a lot of...something...to give an interview to a person who won't use their real name." While I'm not quite sure what that *something* is, which Jude is referring to, might I suggest to our faithful readers that it was a good move for Mr. Kimmel to make an outreach to new media to get his message out. It will increase this chances of winning!

For newcomers to our blog, you can see the Buggs-Kimmel interview here where he shares his personal background and some of his core beliefs in a way that allows the voters to come here freely to help make their choice in who should be their popularly elected state assembly representative. I feel as though it is important to point out that politics is an important part of our heritage and our culture, but it can also be fun! That's what I do and that is what I am here for.

It is more than what I can say for Assemblywoman Duprey, Kimmel's main opponent, who at this point has not yet responded to my fair, scripted and easy set of questions for voters to decipher on our blog. It's her choice ultimately (the offer is still open), but maybe besides the point because we are still hopeful that we will be able to have an exchange with many other fine political leaders from NY-23 that represent both political parties -- just as we are also sure that Mr. Seymour will enjoy this next interview with everyone's favorite Watertown Mayor, Jeff Graham. And with that strange introduction over please hold your applause for our most exciting interview to date!

Buggs Buddy Question: Mayor Graham. It is an honor and a privilege to connect with you on some issues that people in NY-23 take very seriously. So thank you very much for agreeing to taking the time to participate in our interview. Your site, www.mayorgraham.blogspot.com, covers a lot of issues dealing with local and national politics, the weather, popular culture and entertainment. Please share with us when you first started your site and how it has progressed since its inception. Why did you initially decide to start your site?

Watertown Mayor Jeff Graham Response: I started my blog last summer after finally figuring out how to do it. Other local bloggers like Ted Ford and Scott Gray (oops Political IV) were the impetus for getting started. I like writing and since my own career in media was a bit of a fizzle, this satisfies my need to write, muse and pontificate.

BB: That is great. We interviewed Ted Ford recently and you and see that interview here. We extended an offer to Scott Gray, but we are waiting to hear back. Maybe he will start a different blog? Can you please tell us what interests you have outside of politics, Sarah Palin news and Watertown history?

JG: Damn, you listed my scope of interest. I am a Yankees and Jets fan, and just enjoy the give and take of public policy and politics. I also enjoy owning Fort Pearl Tavern... It's a fun line of work.

BB: What do you think are the main issues that Republicans and Democrats should focus on in 2010 at the state and national level?

JG: Deficit... Deficit... and then maybe take a look at the Deficit.

BB: Got it. What candidates on the local level and the national level are you most excited about and who do you see as future leaders emerging from the Republican and Democratic parties in Upstate New York?

JG: I think this Matt Doheny could be an interesting candidate... He seems to have an active mind... Of course, I like Palin on the national scene. She has values and an idealogical compass.

BB: Interesting choices. We have Matt listed as a top-tier candidate on our site. Can you share with us what has been the most difficult decision of your tenure as Mayor of Watertown? What has been the easiest?

JG: The big commitments of money are tough, like the hydro plant renovation some years ago. The best part was during the ice storm when I had to try and provide comfort and encouragement to our workers and the citizens in a tough time.

BB: Do you have a prediction on candidates that might emerge for State Senator Darrel Aubertine's 48th state senate district? Who do you think can mount a credible challenge to Addie Russell's state assembly seat and will Dede Scozzafava see a primary challenge for her state assembly seat?

JG: Aubertine is in the driver's seat, but the best GOP candidate is the perky clerk from Heuvelton. I think Addie Russell is a lock... not just because Ted Ford works for her but she has really shown an interest in the job and the district. As for Scozzafava, I am not a Republican, so I will defer on whether she should have the audacity to run.

BB: What is the best political advice you have ever gotten?

JG: To run for Mayor. TV 50 Weather Person Stephanie Gorin told me to when the news was cancelled. I was going to run for Council but she said to go for the gold.

BB: I bet you are glad you took her advice now that you are the Mayor. Most of our readers already know you well, read your blog and some who read this interview may even listen to you on the radio, but is there anything else you would like our readers to know about you that might be of interest?

JG: I am a nice guy.

BB: Okay, now on a scale of 1 to 10 how do you rate President Obama's performance?

JG: 4... I don't like his ideology and he is on TV too much. I do think he is a decent guy and do not really dislike him... Just disagree with him.

BB: On a scale of 1 to 10 what do you think of our blog?

JG: Well a 10 of course.

BB: A 10? Spoken like a true politician. Thank you for the accolades. I heard you give us a shout out on the radio yesterday so I'll take you at your word. Do you think the newspaper industry will soon see their finish line with the emergence of blogs and social media outlets that get information out quicker and more efficiently? What, if anything, do you think the newspaper industry can do to blunt the impact of these new technologies on their ability to continue selling gray print on white papers?

JG: I stand ready to offer my recommendations for the salvation of print journalism. So far Mr. Johnson has yet to call.

BB: Do you have a New Years Resolution? If so, have you kept it so far?

JG: Lose weight... I will keep you posted.

BB: That is great. I am going to do a better job of finishing my carrots at the dinner table. In all seriousness though, I appreciate your participation. Thank you very much for your time. We will keep following the progress of your blog, www.mayorgraham.blogspot.com, and your good work in Watertown. I think you might have that *something* that Jude Seymour is talking about. Hopefully we can get back to you for a follow-up interview at some point.

3 comments:

  1. Mayor Graham is Going Rogue. I like it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jeff sure does have something

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jude is tooooo funny. When the "mainstream" press stops using "anonymous sources" to write their liberal based crap then Buggs should announce who he/she is. But not until then! So I guess you're safe forever Buggs.

    ReplyDelete